Homemade Strawberry Cake
Adapted from Paula Deen’s Hummingbird Cake
All-purpose flour, for pans
3 cups self-rising flour
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup pureed strawberries, strained*
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest (2 tbsp of lemon juice)
4 large eggs, beaten
red food coloring**
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray and flour three 8-by-2-inch round cake pans, tapping out excess flour; set aside.
- Prepare the cake batter; in a large bowl, stir to combine self-rising flour, sugar, oil, pureed strawberries, vanilla, lemon zest, and eggs.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans, smoothing with an offset spatula. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until the tops spring back when gently pressed with your fingertips, 26 to 28 minutes.
- Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto wire rack. Re-invert cakes and let them cool completely, top sides up.
- Prepare the cream cheese frosting (recipe below); frost as desired and refrigerate until ready to serve.
* You can use fresh or frozen strawberries. If you use frozen, let them defrost on a cookie sheet. Then place in a food processor and pulse until pureed. Run through a medium-sized strainer to remove the seeds. If you have some extra strawberries, try whipping up a quick batch of strawberry scones!
** While I did manage to avoid using red colored gelatin, I did add some food coloring to achieve that perfectly pink color. If you don’t care about getting the pink color, feel free to leave it out. I used about 5 drops, but you should add them one at a time until you achieve the color you are looking for.
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oilshopping list
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- For Filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups prepared lemon flavor instant pudding and pie filling
How to make it
adapted from www.grouprecipes.com
- 1. For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 c sugar.
- 3. Add oil, egg yolks, water and lemon rind and beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks form.
- 5. Gradually add 3/4 c sugar and beat until peaks are very stiff and shiny.
- 6. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites to batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- 7. Pour batter into ungreased 10" tube pan.
- 8. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until tests done.
- 9. Invert cake and cool completely in pan.
- 10. Remove cake from pan.
- 11. For filling: Beat whipping cream to stiff peaks and fold in lemon filling.
- 12. Chill until stiff.
- 13. Slice cake horizontally into 3 equal layers.
- 14. Fill layers with 1/3 cup of filling.
- 15. Spread rest of filling on top layer.
- 16. Decorate with lemon slices
and here is the outcome.... 75 pieces